Grasshoppers are the second species of animal available in the Garden zone, and the nineteenth in the Space Zoo. There are 8 different types of grasshopper. Like all Space Zoo animals, more grasshoppers are unlocked progressively as the player upgrades the grasshopper habitat. They can be unlocked when the player upgrades their ship to Garden 1.
|Animal||Class||Level Unlocked||Distance Found||XP Given|
|Grasshopper||Base||Level 0||> 0m||0|
|Phymateus Morbillosus||Regular||Level 2||> 400m||1|
|Katydid||Regular||Level 0||> 800m||3|
|Koppie Foam Grasshopper||Regular||Level 5||> 1200m||5|
|Young Grasshopper||Regular||Level 2||> 1200m||8|
|Cricket||Boss||Level 6||> 1600m*||12|
|Glasshopper||Regular||Level 5||> 1600m||20|
|Phantom of the Orthoptera||Regular||Level 9||> 1600m||30|
* Note: All boss animals can only be found in the stampede and give XP after the player has initially befriended it in a boss mission.
- Wild: Grasshoppers jump around in a short-long pattern in groups, being more abundant past 2000m.
- When ridden: Grasshoppers continue the short-long jump pattern, slightly slower than when wild, and are difficult to steer up until level 6.
- When angry: Grasshoppers take higher, longer, single jumps.
When unupgraded, grasshoppers are very difficult to use and could be listed as one of the worst animals. Up until level 6, when ridden, the player almost has no control over them and there is a very high chance of crashing. Even when in the wild, they are very annoying since they mostly appear in groups and jump around, making it extremely hard to survive them. Level 7 grasshoppers, however, are excellent, being controllable, able to jump small obstacles, and do not reduce the players lasso size. They also allow the player to jump without lurching back, being a good animal to jump off when a spider is right behind.
Habitat Upgrades Edit
- Level 1 - Ride for an extra 2s before a grasshopper gets angry
- Level 2 - Add two new rare grasshoppers to the stampede (Phymateus Morbillosus, Young Grasshopper)
- Level 3 - Energy drains 10% slower in the Garden
- Level 4 - Get bonus coins while grasshoppers are hopping angry
- Level 5 - Add two new rare grasshoppers to the stampede (Koppie Foam Grasshopper, Glasshopper)
- Level 6 - Grasshoppers can turn while hopping
- Level 7 - Landing on a grasshopper doesn't reduce your lasso size
- Level 8 - 2x more rare grasshoppers in the stampede
- Level 9 - Add a new rare Grasshopper to the stampede (Phantom of the Orthoptera)
- Grasshoppers were released in version 1.15.0 on the 22nd of March 2018 along with Garden and other original Garden species.