Hippos are the eleventh animal species available to the player. There are 9 different types of hippo that can be tamed. They can be unlocked when the player upgrades their ship to Jungle 2.
|Animal||Class||Level Unlocked||Distance Found||XP Given|
|Hippo||Base||Level 0||> 0m||0|
|Pygmy Hippo||Regular||Level 0||> 1000m||1|
|Ballerina Hippo||Regular||Level 0||> 1300m||3|
|Hip Hop Hippo||Regular||Level 0||> 1800m||10|
|Hippiepotamus||Regular||Level 0||> 2200m||25|
|Platypotamus||Secret||Level 0||> 0m||15|
|Taweret||Level 9||Level 9||> 1800m||10|
|Sabretooth Hippo||Endangered||Level 0||> 1400m||25|
|Bumper Car Hippo||Event||Level 0||> 1300m||3|
- Wild: Hippos move slowly in a forward direction.
- When ridden: Hippos charge forward as soon as they’re lassoed (level 5 habitat required), and are able to smash trees and rocks (at level 6). When in water, hippos charge and the player can ride them for longer.
- When angry: Hippos slow down, buck the player up and sit on them.
Hippos are difficult to tame in the first place, with it being recommended to move in as straight a line as possible and only move to avoid contact with other animals or to make contact with water, to extend the length in which the player can ride the hippo for. Hippos are possibly one of the most underrated animals in Rodeo Stampede. Hippo charges can smash trees and any other Jungle animals, and can also smash rocks when the habitat is upgraded to level 6. The reason for hippos being underrated is that once the player passes around 3000m, water patches are closer together, and play speeds up so that in the same amount of time, a hippo is able to travel further, maximising the chance of reaching the next patch of water. In addition, every time a hippo enters water, they charge for a short amount of time, making them invincible. This means that it is unlikely for the player to die, and consequently they can get a high score (10000m plus) with ease.
Habitat Upgrades Edit
- Level 1 - 3x more hippos in the stampede
- Level 2 - After leaving the water, hippos energy lasts 30% longer
- Level 3 - Longer charges when a hippo has full energy
- Level 4 - Gain 50% more ticket money from hippos
- Level 5 - Starts with enough energy to charge
- Level 6 - Charging hippos can now smash rocks
- Level 7 - Get bonus coins while in the water on a hippo
- Level 8 - 2x more rare hippos in the stampede
- Level 9 - Add a new rare Hippo to the stampede (Taweret)
- Hippos were released in the original release, version 1.0.0, on the 22nd of June 2016, along with Savannah and all original Savannah animals, Jungle and all other original Jungle animals, and the Sky Zoo.
- The level 2 habitat upgrade has a punctuation error in that "hippos" lacks an apostrophe after the 's'.
- The distance which hippos were found changed from past 1000m to past 0m in update 1.7.0 on the 23rd of March 2017.